The direction was given following a complaint by a customer here who had purchased the food product which has an expiry year of 2016.
After it was opened, a foul smellemanated from the product, the consumer had complained.
“We have taken samples of the said product and directed recall of the batch,” an official said.
The recall of the baby food comes close on the heels of nation-wide controversy over Maggi noodles.
Complaint against KFC
Meanwhile in HYDERABAD, fast food chain KFC on Friday challenged claims that its products are unsafe for consumption due to the presence of harmful bacteria inside its food articles.
Reacting to claims of a Hyderabad-based NGO which alleged that the company’s products contained harmful pathogens– salmonella and E.Coli bacteria–KFC said that it was a case of “malicious intent” on the part of some individuals.
“We believe that this is a case of malicious intent on the part some individuals trying to damage our brand reputation,” a KFC spokesperson said in a statement.
The NGO, Balala Hakula Sangham, had claimed that the samples picked up from five KFC outlets in Hyderabad were unsafe on the basis of the findings of Telangana State Food Laboratory (SFL).
“We have no knowledge of the sample being collected from any of our stores and have not received any intimation or notice from any authority in this regard,” the spokesperson said adding that the company got to know of this report from the media only.
According to KFC, its products are freshly cooked and are perishable food items meant for immediate consumption.
“In any case, there is no possibility of any microbial development in our food which is freshly cooked at 170 degrees celsius,” KFC said.
The statement further said the name of the supplier mentioned in the report by the NGO is not even in the poultry business and there is no KFC outlet in three out of the five locations shared by the organisation.
“We are not sure if this alleged sample was actually picked from a KFC store, what is the condition in which this was stored or transported,” it added.
Food safety has come under the scanner in the country after Food Safety and Standards Authority of India directed Nestle to withdraw its instant noodles Maggi from the market.– From DailyNewsAnalysis